Co2 Fire Extinguisher

Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers are designed for use primarily on electrical fires but can also be used on class A, B & C fires. Class B fires include flammable liquids such as petrol, oil, diesel, (excluding cooking oil), and some solid fuels like wax.

Fires involving electrical equipment are one of the commonest causes of fire and involve equipment, such as portable appliances, and any electrical wiring or circuitry. Being rated as safe on electrical fires signifies that the extinguishing agent is non-conductive. It is because carbon dioxide in non-conductive that it is so suitable for use on electrical equipment, and it doesn't leave a residue behind like powder or foam extinguisher would, which would be a problem for the delicate workings of an electronic appliance.

These properties make carbon dioxide fire extinguishers particularly suitable for office environments and other areas with a significant amount of electronic or electrical equipment. They should not be used on cooking oil fires as the high pressure discharge could splash the burning fat around and spread the fire further.

Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers come in various standard sizes, including 2kg, 3kg and 5kg. The extinguishers that are 5kg or larger will have a hose attached as well as the horn-shaped nozzle.

Carbon Dioxide Fire Extinguisher - How To Use It

Carbon dioxide fire extinguishers work by producing vaporised CO2 gas from liquidised carbon dioxide. This smothers the fire and starves it of oxygen, preventing combustion. They come with a 'horn' that is used to direct the gas. Direct the horn at the base of the flames and move it steadily back and forth across the area of the fire.

Carbon Dioxide can lead to asphyxiation if found in quantity in confined spaces, so take care to ventilate the area as soon as the fire is under control.

In a work environment, no-one should use a fire extinguisher unless they have received the appropriate training. Basic instructions are printed on the operating instruction panel. An identification sign should be mounted above each carbon dioxide extinguisher to aid easy identification in an emergency.